One of my all time favorite "hobbies" is genealogy. I love it! I often don't have enough time to work on it, but when I do I can often become obsessed. Some times I consider doing it professionally. In fact, I would love to be a professional genealogist, but I am not quite sure how I would even get started. Not only do I love looking up information on my family, I enjoy researching for others. Since I have been thinking about turning genealogy into a profession (part-time, consultation even), I start considering what I might need to do to achieve that goal.
1. Joining the National Genealogical Society and, perhaps, a few other genealogy organizations that apply to my research.
2. Attending genealogy conferences so that I can make connections with others doing research and professionals in the field.
3. Go to the genealogical society in my town. I haven't because I don't have family members from this county, not really. But, it is something I may need to consider doing.
4. Publishing a blog on my efforts to find my own family.
5. Getting certified through the Board of Certification of Genealogists.
Once I have done all of that, then I might look into joining a professional organization in the field (like APG).
It may take a while to achieve my goals, but I know I can do it. In the meantime, I plan to keep researching my family history. This blog will be a place where I discuss my frustrations, successes, and thoughts about what I find in my search. I hope you enjoy the ride.